Instructor's Test


First, we had a practice test. It was on a Thursday. Classes are on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and the actual Instructor test was on the following Tuesday. It didn't get us any time to study, which stunk. I apparently got the highest score with a 77. That's enough to pass the final exam, but not enough to pass the Instructor's requirements of an 80 minimum. So, I spent most of the weekend, and every spare second in between studying. My final score in his class for the test: 97. I'm good with that. I won't lie - as hard as I studied, I really hoped for a 100, because I recognized every single question from the study books.

And now the Takeaways. What did I learn from the ground school? And how can I help someone else going through the same course?

1. The pilot exam is mostly about memorization, especially in regards to regulations and airspace requirements. Memorize the data. According to the instructor I had, "live in the books until you know it." About 40% - 50% is mind-numbing memorization. The other half..

2. Comprehension. You've got to know how to do the stuff. You can't memorize load tables, weight and balance stuff, etc. You can memorize the formulas (which are very few).

3. Weather. I had no idea I had to know so much about weather. Sky conditions. Forecasts tell you quite a bit, and that was a unit all on its own - weather aviation services. What I'm talking about is weather. Knowing what the clouds mean, what dewpoint is, how important humidity plays in density altitude - all that stuff.

4. I bought an E6B electronic calculator from Sporty's. It's the only one I've seen, and it made my life a dream. It states plainly on the site, on the calculator, and in the packaging that this calculator can be brought into the FAA test with you. They're very strict as far as what they allow. If they will let me take this calculator with me, my life will be much easier. It did everything automatically. Very awesome tool. Highly recommend it.

5. Finally, go through the questions in the book. He took the exam from it. You can go through them repeatedly in your spare time as often as necessary to practically memorize them. Keep in mind, comprehension of the questions and answers is key to passing the final, because they probably won't have all of the identical questions. I have found several sites that do have practice tests you can repeatedly take with random questions.

What Next?

It's not over. First, I've still got to take the official test, and I'm going to try and call to schedule that soon. I want to take it ASAP, and it's $150 to take at an FAA school in Lebanon, TN. Second, I still haven't flown. Gotta get in the air soon. The next blog will be about how I did on the test, and then I'll start chronicling my time in the air.

Comments

Popular Posts